SDCmaterials’ core value is driven by our ability to rapidly produce unique combinations of materials on a nano-scale. To enable successful commercialization, we have developed an end-to-end system of in-house processes that take the guesswork out of integrating these novel materials into end products:
Rapid Materials Synthesis
- Quick-turn development of unique composite nano-materials including alloy and Nano-on-Nano™ structures.
- Patented Plasma Synthesis System and Processes.
- Flexible configuration for materials mix, atmosphere, temperature, and time.
Intermediary Product Integration
- Integration of these nano-materials into transferable media.
- Typically, this is the form in which the SDCmaterials product will ultimately ship.
- Prototype End-Product Integration - Full Integration to final-product form to allow for end-to-end verification.
- Limited scale - not for high volume commercialization.
- For automotive emissions solutions, we develop washcoat compositions and fabricate full size catalyst monoliths for product testing for gasoline, light, medium, and heavy-duty diesel applications.
- Capability to test our products in their intermediary and final-product forms.
- For automotive emissions control, this ranges from particle size and composition testing of our nano-materials, to monolith-core sample testing.
- We partner with independent labs to perform on-vehicle testing of full-size monoliths.
High Volume Manufacturing
- HVM operations for our nano, and nano-intermediary products.
- Scale-out (vs. scale-up) of our manufacturing processes allows for small initial factory footprint, rapid volume ramping, and flexible production mixes.
- Initial HVM manufacturing site located in Schwarzeheide, Germany.
- ISO9001, ISO14001, and BS OHSAS 18001 Certified Facility
Our end-to-end processes are flexible and platform-based, allowing SDC to pursue the complete range from experimentation to commercialization for a variety of applications. Today our primary focus is on Automotive Catalysts. However, there are a few other areas where SDC is engaged in development activity based on substantial opportunity for materials driven breakthroughs. We protect our extensive intellectual property through a multi-layer defense strategy that includes patent applications and exclusive licenses in three distinct areas: methodology & concept, hardware, and process. Currently, SDCmaterials has 54 issued patents (including 41 U.S. and 13 foreign issued) and 151 pending patent applications (including 50 U.S. and 101 foreign pending patents).